Jim enjoys teaching and training colleagues, clients, and students about the intricacies of US and European Patent Law in seminar and university settings, and has taught and presented on numerous topics at Panthéon-Assas (Sorbonne), the Center for International Intellectual Property Studies (University of Strasbourg), and the French Intellectual Property Institute (INPI), among others. Teaching these classes gave Jim the opportunity to meet current and future IP professionals from around the world, and to discuss in a collegial environment, the laws and regulations of various patent systems throughout the world.
Prior to joining OBWB IP, Jim was an associate at several of the largest French intellectual property firms in Paris, and before moving to Europe, practiced as a U.S. Patent Attorney at one of the largest IP boutique firms in the world. In his first career, he enjoyed 8 years as a software engineer and database administrator, managing and developing applications in client-server and web-based environments.
Jim is fluent in English and French, and continues slowly toward his next goal of learning German.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- European Patent Office
Professional Activities & Memberships
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPI)
Publications & Presentations
- J. Bell, “Obtaining Right to Priority Should be Your First Priority,” CBDL Newsletter, December 2017, available at: http://www.bdl-ip.com/cn/actualites/flash-info/id-184-obtaining-right-to-priority-should-be-your-first-priority
- J. Bell, et al., “Machine, Apparatus, or Transformation, Consequences of US Section 101 and the European Applicant,” Vol. 04-09, EPI Information, 127-133 (2009), available at: http://patentepi.com/de/epi/download/89ee2119-1855-49d1-b18d-ed5217e81a72/2009_04_epi_info.pdf
- J. Bell, et al., “Point of Novelty for a Design Patent Must Include a ‘Non-Trivial Advance’ over the Prior Art,” Last Month at the Federal Circuit, September 2007, available at: https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=60f47a93-ba42-4ddf-b5ab-2d3bf7c4e77f
- J.D., George Washington University Law School, With Honors
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic and State University