The misappropriation of designs and plans has been a pervasive problem in the architecture and building design industry for many years, and the growth of CAD and online marketing has made this problem worse. Since the passage of the Architectural Works Copyright Protection Act, however, architects, building designers, and engineers have robust legal protections available to them. Understanding and utilizing these protections is essential for this industry.
OBWB attorneys include nationally recognized pioneers and leaders in the field of architectural copyright law, and have obtained many of the largest judgments in this field, including a recent judgment for a building design firm for almost $29 million.
OBWB’s architectural practice includes:
- Investigation of design / plan misappropriation
- Litigation of architectural copyright and Digital Millennium Copyright Act claims
- Lender liability claims for misappropriation of designs / plans
- Insurance coverage claims for misappropriation of designs / plans
- Development, implementation, and counseling on “best practices”
- Drafting and negotiation of license agreements / design contracts
- Design portfolio management (including copyright registration)
- Purchase / sale of design portfolios
- Due diligence investigations of design portfolios
- Training of design professionals on IP issues