Han-Mei Tso’s practice focuses on patent litigation, intellectual property licensing and portfolio management, trademark registration, and patent prosecution strategic counseling. Ms. Tso provides legal advice on patent litigation and prosecution matters involving a wide range of technologies including mobile devices, solar cells, semiconductors, medical devices, and consumer electronics.
Ms. Tso has extensive experience in various aspects of patent infringement litigation and provides legal advice on U.S. patent litigation as well as ITC investigations for clients based in China and Taiwan. Ms. Tso has prepared complaints, answers, motions, discovery requests, responses to discovery, and participated in depositions, settlement negotiations, as well as trial in patent infringement and commercial litigations.
In the area of intellectual property counseling, Ms. Tso has developed comprehensive global intellectual property strategies for international clients for patent procurement, trademark registration, and trade secret protection with a broad view of clients’ businesses and technologies.
Previously Ms. Tso worked as an associate at a prestigious Taiwan law firm, where her practice primarily focused on commercial litigation as well as business transactions. Ms. Tso frequently served as an outside counsel for major Taiwanese companies. She has significant experience in working with corporate in-house legal teams to provide legal services on matters relating to license agreements, contract negotiations, and intellectual property investment and management. Prior to practicing in the U.S., Ms. Tso was Deputy General Counsel of a Taiwanese public company where she advised on corporate law, securities regulation, and corporate governance matters.
- State Bar of New York
- Taiwan Bar
- Taiwan Patent Bar
- Not licensed in China or TX
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Drone Technologies, Inc. v. Parrot S.A., et al. (W.D. Pa.); Represented defendants Parrot S.A. and its subsidiary in a patent infringement litigation.
- HSM Portfolio LLC, et al. v. Fujitsu Limited, et al. (D DE); Represented defendant ProMOS Technologies, Inc. in a patent infringement litigation.
- Richtek Technology Corporation, et al. v. uPI Semiconductor Corporation, et al. (N.D. Cal.); Represented defendant Maxchip Electronics Corporation in a patent infringement litigation.
- VIZIO, Inc. v. Gemtek Technology Co., Ltd. (C.D. Cal.); Represented defendant Gemtek Technology Co., Ltd in a commercial litigation.
- NovelPoint Tracking LLC v. Coolpad Technologies, Inc. (E.D. Tex.); Represented defendant Coolpad Technologies, Inc. in a patent infringement litigation.
- Represented Taiwan Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) in a patent infringement dispute with a leading German automotive manufacturing company involving an illumination device and image projection apparatus.
- Advanced Data Access LLC v. Nanya Technology Corporation, et al. (E.D. Tex.); Represented defendant Powerchip Technology Corporation in a patent infringement litigation.
- Voxpath RS, LLC v. LG Electronics U.S.A., Inc., et al. (DNJ); Represented defendant Desay A&V Science and Technology Co., Ltd in a patent infringement litigation.
- Gemini IP, Inc. v. Computer Sciences Corporation, et al. (E.D. Tex.); Represented defendant Bomgar Corporation in a patent infringement litigation.
- Gemini IP, Inc. v. Zappos.com, Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.); Represented several customers of Bomgar Corporation in a patent infringement lawsuit derived from the foregoing case.
- We-Flex, LLC v. NBSP, Inc., et al. (S.D. Tex.); Represented defendant Aromate Industries Company, Ltd. in a false marking litigation.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- New York Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Taiwanese American Science and Technology Association, Washington D.C.
- Georgetown University Law Center, Master of Laws, 2008
- Soochow University in Taipei, Taiwan, Master of Laws, 2003
- Fu Jen Catholic University in Taipei, Taiwan, Bachelor of Laws, 1998
- The "Broadest Reasonable Interpretation Rule" in China's Patent Invalidation Proceedings: What is "Calculating"?
- Customs Border IP Protection in China -- Procedures and Key Measures
- Introduction of Customs Border IP Protection in China Part I--- the System and Current Implementation
- Chinese Patent Invalidation Proceedings Will Not Be Suspended for Ownership Disputes
- China Issues Interim Measures for Processing Related Examination Matters Regarding Implementation of the Amended Patent Law
- China's Punitive Damages and FTO Analysis in Patent Cases (Part II)
- China Passes Fourth Amendment to Patent Law
- Impact of Shifting Burden of Proof Provision for Trade Secret Civil Proceedings in the US-China Economic and Trade Agreement and China's Most Recent Response
- The New Year Gift from CNIPA: Amendments to Patent Examination Guidelines
- CNIPA Announced Amendments to Patent Examination Guidelines
- Major Amendments to China's Trademark Law regarding Malicious Registration and Trademark Misuse
- Introduction to Prioritized and Expedited Patent Examination Procedures (Part Three) – Chapter of the United States –
- Senior Officers of AIPPI Visit China to Further International Cooperation of Intellectual Property Protection
- CNIPA Publishes Proposed Amendments to Patent Examination Guidelines
- Introduction to Prioritized and Expedited Patent Examination Procedures (Part Two) Chapter of Japan
- Patent Reexamination Board Eliminated Amid CNIPA Reorganization
- China to Increase Damages for Patent Infringement
- Introduction to Prioritized and Expedited Patent Examination Procedures (Part One) Chapter of China
- China Issues New Appellate Procedural Rules for IP Cases
- Hangzhou High-Tech Zone (Binjiang) Science and Technology Bureau and Osha Liang LLP Signed a Strategic Cooperation Agreement
- The Effect and Application of China's Guiding Cases
- Not Simply Renamed – "SIPO" becomes "CNIPA"
- The First Case in China Using Blockchain Technology to Preserve Electronic Evidence
- The Significance of "Could" vs. "Would" When Assessing Obviousness Rejections
- SIPO Announced Termination and Adjustment of Certain Patent Fees
- The New Trend of Utility Model Applications in China
- SIPO Issues Statistics of Design Patents
- Virtual Reality Technology Applied for the First Time in a China Court Trial
- China to Restructure SIPO – A Step Toward Better IP Protection
- SIPO Announced Changing of Composition of Patent Certificates and the Duplicates thereof
- UNIQLO Wins Trademark Infringement Litigation in China
- The First Court Decision on GUI Design Patent Infringement in China
- China's Guiding Cases in IP Law, Part III: Infringement of Design Patents
- 2016 Patent Statistics Annual Report by SIPO
- Under Armour Won Trademark Battle Against Uncle Martian in China
- Hangzhou Internet Court: On the Fly
- China's Guiding Cases in IP Law, Part II: Infringement of Patent for Pharmaceutical Preparation Process
- China Is Formulating Guidelines for Anti-Monopoly Enforcement against Abuse of IPRs
- China's Supreme Court Published New Guiding Cases in IP – Part I: Liability of E-Commerce Platform in Patent Infringement
- SIPO Approved the Amendments of the Guidelines for Chinese Patent Examination
- Beijing IP Court Issued Decision Based on SEP Infringement
- Petty Patents Around the World
- China's Supreme Court Ruled On Jordan Trademark Dispute
- “Management Training Series: Trade Secret Protection,” Sino-American Silicon Products, Inc., October 2010, August 2011, and November 2013.
- “Management Training Series: Patent Licensing,” Sino-American Silicon Products, Inc., June 2012.
- “Impact of the America Invents Act,” Delta Electronics, Inc., co-speaker, November 2011.
- “Introduction of ITC Section 337 Investigation and U.S. Patent Litigation” SME Incubator, Southern Taiwan Science Park, November 2011.